Re: [African_Arts] Mask [2 Attachments]

  • nighti2ider
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 2013
      This mask is an aberrant interpretation of a well known traditional mask made for market. It is not a very appealing interpretation in my opinion. The question of value is often a question left unanswered in this forum, in part due to the subjective nature of assigning value. In the case of decorative pieces made for market in a workshop perhaps not even located in the country of origin of the traditional form, value is greatly diminished. Such pieces are common among low-end dealers and flea market vendors ... The scenario might go something like this upon asking the price from such a dealer ... How much? - Give me 250 - what? 250?? that's TOO much - what's your BEST price? - OK .. give me 200 - Hmmm ... I don't know ... the face isn't right .. the horns aren't right ... I saw so and so with one better than this for $150 ... how bout 100? --- I suspect that deal would close ... and you might even get it for less.

      Here's another possible scenario, just for fun ..... Excuse me ... how much is this mask? -- Give me $350, I just traded for it from a big collector in CA... very rare mask --- Really? I love the carving on the face and the way the horns curve. -- It's one of a kind! --- Can you take any less? --- It's your lucky day... I close my eyes ...give me 300. - Great! I'll take it!

      I took a look at ebay and there are a number of Goli masks being offered there ... On just the first page they ranged from $129 to $750. A good, old Goli mask can cost thousands. I suggest you look around ... type in Baule Goli Kplekle mask ... in Google .. and in Ebay.

      Daniel