RE: [African_Arts] Yoruba divination cup rider on horse

  • Monroe, John W [HIST]
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2013
      Hi --

      I think this piece was made for sale, rather than traditional use.  My guess is that it's probably from the Adugbologe workshop in Abeokuta, Nigeria, and was made pretty recently (at least after 1970 or so).  An example made for traditional religious use would be painted many colors, rather than just the flat black, which is apparently typical of recent Abeokuta pieces (see Norma Wolff's excellent essay in the recent edited volume _African Art and Agency in the Workshop_).  You can see the legacy of the Abeokuta style in the ears and rendering of the face in this piece -- but the execution of the details, and the form as a whole, is cruder here than it is on older examples.

      John Monroe