Re: [African_Arts] Re: Is this an Ashanti gold weight?

  • carousel96
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2013
      Thank you.  I do not know a lot about African art. Someone on another board suggested it was Ashanti. It does look more like the Burkina Faso figures I found online. It appears to be rather old, and is interesting.

      Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:13 AM
      Subject: [African_Arts] Re: Is this an Ashanti gold weight?

      It's certainly not an Ashanti gold weight: the face and the dress are not ashanti, I think it's Burkina Faso.

      --- In mailto:African_Arts%40yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carol@...> wrote:

      > I found this figure at a yard
      sale. It is about 4 1/2 inches tall and weighs 278 grams. The face and the instrument are nicely detailed.
      > Any info is appreciated.
      >
      > Photos are in album called Brassman:

    • carousel96
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2013
        How can I find out if this is a tourist piece or something that was made for tribal use? It seems to have some age to it.

        Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:13 AM