Is this an Ashanti gold weight?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2013
      I found this figure at a yard sale. It is about 4 1/2 inches tall and weighs 278 grams. The face and the instrument are nicely detailed.
      Any info is appreciated.

      Photos are in album called Brassman:
    • gi mateusen
      Message 2 of 4 , May 21, 2013
        It's certainly not an Ashanti gold weight: the face and the dress are not ashanti, I think it's Burkina Faso.

        --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carol@...> wrote:

        > I found this figure at a yard sale. It is about 4 1/2 inches tall and weighs 278 grams. The face and the instrument are nicely detailed.
        > Any info is appreciated.
        >
        > Photos are in album called Brassman:

      • carousel96
        Message 3 of 4 , May 21, 2013
          Thank you.  I do not know a lot about African art. Someone on another board suggested it was Ashanti. It does look more like the Burkina Faso figures I found online. It appears to be rather old, and is interesting.

          Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:13 AM
          Subject: [African_Arts] Re: Is this an Ashanti gold weight?

          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2013
            How can I find out if this is a tourist piece or something that was made for tribal use? It seems to have some age to it.

            Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:13 AM