rare mortar and pestle please help <3

  • lostnomorety
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013
      Hi guys =) I rescued this amazing piece from an antique store... I cannot find anything really similar anywhere, I have searched forever now... I have emailed these pics to dealers etc just waiting responses... what do you guys think? Can anyone tell me anything? I just posted the pics:

    • lostnomorety
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 24, 2013
        Just got my first response from a dealer he says it doesnt look african to him maybe indian

        --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "lostnomorety" <lostnomorety@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys =) I rescued this amazing piece from an antique store... I cannot find anything really similar anywhere, I have searched forever now... I have emailed these pics to dealers etc just waiting responses... what do you guys think? Can anyone tell me anything? I just posted the pics:

      • Alex Robinson
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 24, 2013
          Hi

          It is a Bedouin (nomadic Arab) coffee mortar - I have seen these used in desert regions from Jordan down to UAE and Oman. Coffee is roasted over an open fire in what looks like a small shovel, pounded in these mortars and then brewed. New ones are also made for sale souvenirs.

          Hope this helps

          Alex
        • Jeff Spurr
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2013
            Thanks to Alex for this information,

            I own a very old one (deeply patinated with signs of long use). Its
            decoration is totally abstract, and very finely incised. Also
            features the furniture tacks. I had guessed that it might be from
            Zanzibar, but Oman and the rest of the Arabian Peninsula is close
            enough. I am curious to know whether the examples with figural
            decoration might be from further north (in any event what the design
            distribution might be for such items). The only other example I have
            seen featured floral imagery and was represented as "Ottoman." I
            suppose that, if it dating to pre-WWI and was from the right region,
            it would not have been totally off base, though not terribly useful
            either.

            Best,

            Jeff

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 24, 2013
              Here's an example from the British Museum:

              A web search for Bedouin coffee mortar will show other examples.

              Could be Zanzibar also, as Zanzibar was part of the Sultanate of Oman for a couple of hundred years and much of the architecture is similar.

              br Alex

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 24, 2013
                Re: rare mortar and pestle please help <3
                Thanks!.  Yes, the British Museum has three related pieces with digital images, the example closest to mine having been acquired in Jordan.  Some of these are so sophisticated that one wonders whether urban artisans made them for the Beduin, a far from unprecedented relationship.

                A very crude example (at least in terms of decoration), properly identified as "Bedouin" was offered on ebay:

                >http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bedouin-Pestle-Mortar-Coffee-Grinder-Instr ument-/251244624827?category=37942&cmd=ViewItem&ih=015&n ma=true&si=FQdyM6zoB7416ptm4u%252B%252FvdddlqY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

                as is another, presently offered as "African," whose formal characteristics are essentially identical to mine although the decoration is not as finely realized:

                >http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AFRICAN-TRIBAL-PESTLE-AND-MORTAR-CARVED-DE CORATION-/400354946258?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D22 2002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D15010%26meid%3D71918731216347 40748%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1121%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D251244624827%26

                Cheers,

                Jeff

                http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/search_the_collection_database /search_object_details.aspx?objectid=3320143&partid=1&output =Terms%2F!!%2FOR%2F!!%2F6870%2F!%2F%2F!%2FMade+by+Bedouin%2F!%2F%2F! !%2F%2F!!!%2F&orig=%2Fresearch%2Fsearch_the_collection_database%2Fadvanced_search.aspx&currentPage=1&numpages=200