Re: Any thoughts?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2013
      Penny:

      The facial characteristics and what strikes me as an artistic reinterpretation of the abdominal cavity often found in Kongo minkisi -- combined with the doll-like body form (mwana hiti?) as well as beaded adornments in the form of earrings and limbs -- suggests to me that this may be an artful eastern African re-casting of the nkisi form.  If you look at images of both classes of objects -- the nkisi [Kongo] and mwana hiti [Tanzania, etc.], I think you may perceive this possibility.