Re: African Carving of old man smoking a pipe

  • tamlyn31
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7 1:21 PM
      Thanks Joe, I don't really have a collection. I been to much of a globe trotter! :) Where can I find our more about the type of wood and region it come from?

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Anderson <ironjpa@...> wrote:

      > Your carving is not from a particular tribe so it is hard to say
      > where it was carved. I am not an authority on wood so I can't help
      > there. If you like it, then enjoy it along with the rest of your
      > collection.
      >
      > Joe

    • Josh Simpson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7 7:34 PM
        Hi Tamlynb - I've run across many similar pieces.  Outside the Johannesburg are you can find them at the outdoor market at Hartebeesport Dam.  Closer to Jo'burg you can find similar pieces at the flea market at Bruma, and even at the crafts market in Rosebank.  The traders I've bought them from have generally attributed them to Zim or to Malawi.  Sometimes they're carved from what is coloquially referred to as leadwood, sometimes ironwood.  It's always a very dense and hard wood that takes a good polish - they frequently touch them up with automobile polish to give them a high sheen.  I hope this helps.
        Regards,
        Josh

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8 12:41 AM
          Yes, thanks Josh, that does give me a start point. It is two toned, dark inner with a very light yellow outer, so I'm not too sure, but am researching it still. Thanks a ton for the input, I'll start at these places you mentioned.