Re: ART OF TANZANIA EXHIBITION - NYC, FEBRUARY 22-March 17, 2013

  • Ellmann, Stephen J.
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2013
      The Tanzanian art exhibit is fascinating. Part of the pleasure is to travel far out of Manhattan, to a largely empty (on a Saturday in the rain) college campus, and find there this beautiful set of objects. Some are old, but some are quite recent (the 80s and 90s, I believe); it seems that Tanzanian art is both vibrant and little known, and an exhibit note comments that there are developments that observers just don't know about to keep track of. There were quite a few masks, which I thought were particularly interesting because they were emphatically representational. There were also many other beautiful things, including small sculptures of cattle, chairs, and a roomful of 5-foot high wooden figures of people, not very representational at all.

      Well worth a trip! One tip — although the exhibit opened on Friday, Feb. 22, in fact not all the exhibits are on display yet. We were told that a second floor exhibit will open in a couple of weeks.

      Best to all --

      Steve Ellmann
    • awr066
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 7:15 AM
        Hi Steve

        I won't be able to get to NYC in time, but did you see the accompanying catalogue? It is $95, but appears from the description (342 pages and 10 contributors) to be a potentially thorough examination of the subject, and there are very few books on Tanzanian art.

        Thanks

        Alex