Any thoughts?

  • Penny Milout
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22 10:16 AM
    Hello,
    I wonder if a knowledgeable person has an idea where this small carving of a doll-like figure is from---- images attached.
    Thanks very much.
    Hope you all have a good weekend.
    Best wishes....
    Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2013
      Penny:

      The facial characteristics and what strikes me as an artistic reinterpretation of the abdominal cavity often found in Kongo minkisi -- combined with the doll-like body form (mwana hiti?) as well as beaded adornments in the form of earrings and limbs -- suggests to me that this may be an artful eastern African re-casting of the nkisi form.  If you look at images of both classes of objects -- the nkisi [Kongo] and mwana hiti [Tanzania, etc.], I think you may perceive this possibility.