Re: Nkisi nkondi statue

  • berzgallery
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
      Hi Elton,

      If you needed another opinion, I would agree with the posting by bunumbu that the piece was made for sale and not use. Outside of the museum trail, you can also see some smaller examples with dealers in the Sablon area in Belgium and in a number of books if you can't make it to the museums. Hope that helps and good luck, Andrew

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2013
        Elton:

        The form is fairly recognizable as Kongo nkisi nkondi, but I would be surprised if indeed its age is quite as indicated.  The figure strikes me as rather more recent and more likely among copious contemporary reproductions of the form adorned with a variety of materials and applied substances to create an impression of greater age, prior usage and ritual authenticity.