luba (?)

  • hugodeboom@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
      Is there anyone who knows where I can find some information about this
      strange luba object

      thx
      hugo
    • Ann Porteus
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
        Does it have a hole through the stem?
        If so the shape looks a little like the enema funnel in my collection.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidewalk_tribal_galleries/sets/72157603570695990/with/2146140472/

        Ann Porteus

        Sidewalk Tribal Gallery

        19-21 Castray Esplanade,

        Battery Point 7004

        Hobart Tasmania Australia

        On 18/02/2013, at 6:16 AM, "hugodeboom@..." <hugodeboom@...> wrote:

        Is there anyone who knows where I can find some information about this
        strange luba object

        thx
        hugo

      • Paul DeLucco
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
          Hugo,

          Is this made of resin? If so, it could be a Tshokwe power object. The horn is normally concealed by animal skin. The resin figure is studded with beads and very small horns filled with cult material. I don't believe the Luba used objects made of resin.

          -Paul

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
            Are you sure this is Luba ? what's the size ?
            It look's more as a Bobo hunters mask  from Burkina Faso.
            kind regards
            Op 17-feb.-2013, om 20:16 heeft hugodeboom@... het volgende geschreven:

            Is there anyone who knows where I can find some information about this
            strange luba object

            thx
            hugo

          • bunumbu

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
                Paul

                Yes, maybe Tshokwe.But I've never seen this before and cannot find it in my books.

                It is collected +-1930 by someone who lived and worked in Katanga. You see the head (on both sides a face): up two bullets - foto4 - And 2 holes where were also bullets I think. Mouth: on one side there remain two tooths.
                Under (the 'neck') you see a kind of pin, I think horn. The head is very hard, but not stone or ceramic (maybe some kind of resin yes???) and +- heavy.
                As you can see the pin is realy sharp, like it needs to be sticked somewhere.

                Thx, kindest regards

                hugo

              • hugodeboom@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
                  collected in katanga by someone who worked there; So - maybe - luba.

                  --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, GARYGLS2000@... wrote:

                  > How do you know its Luba?
                  >

                  > In a message dated 2/17/2013 11:50:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  > hugodeboom@... writes:
                  >

                  > Is there anyone who knows where I can find some information about this
                  > _strange luba object_
                  > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/album/1526387468/pic/list)
                  >

                  > thx
                  > hugo

                • renaud riley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
                    DEAR

                    YES THIS IS LUBA, AND IT WAS MADE FOR THE STORM, I THINK,
                    WHEN MEN WERE HUNTING, I CAN CHECK AND TELL YOU MORE ABOUT.

                    I HAD AN OLD ONE FEW YEARS AGO

                    BEST
                    RENAUD RILEY