Mossi / Gurunsi?

  • josephescu
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
      dear all,

      a little help with this antelope mask i acquired in Ouaga?

      rgds
      iosif
    • Gi Mateusen
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
        Hello,
        It's a Antilope mask "wan nyaka" in the Ouagadougou style  from the Mossi sukomsé.

        Op 13-feb.-2013, om 10:17 heeft josephescu het volgende geschreven:

        dear all,

        a little help with this antelope mask i acquired in Ouaga?

        rgds
        iosif

      • gayle degregori
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
          Beautiful mask! Could be Bamana?

          Gayle DeGregori
          2327 Goldsmith St.
          Houston, Texas 77030
          home: (713) 667-0743
          cell: (832) 540-5542
          email: gdegregori@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
            Beautiful mask,

            Even though this is my area off collecting too, not quite sure on it's origin, the eyes is distinct characteristic of some mossi bird mask, but the overall form and style it seem have gurunsi origin (Gurunsi is a term to describe people in that region and does includes part of mossi and neighboring people, nuna, bwa, lele, winiama, I believed).  Judging from it's mixed form I would say it's more likely Gurunsi.

            Congradulation very nice find.  Would love to see more of your collections.  Thanks for sharing

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
              this is it indeed, many thanks