Re ---- Any thoughts?

  • Penny Milout
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2013
    Hello,
    I wonder if any of your knowledgable people, can tell me what area you think this mask may be from?
    I am thinking Hemba or Lega, but am having difficulty pin-pointing it.
    Thanks for your help.
    Best wishes.....
  • Bob Ibold
    Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2013
      Could you possibly show us a photo taken from the rear?  Thanks, Bob

      At 08:56 AM 2/6/2013, you wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Penny Milout included below]

      Hello,
      I wonder if any of your knowledgable people, can tell me what area you think this mask may be from?
      I am thinking Hemba or Lega, but am having difficulty pin-pointing it.
      Thanks for your help.
      Best wishes.....
    • Ed Jones
      Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2013
        Interesting mask... Perhaps, a good one.  It is certainly from the DRC (former Zaire).
        Reference the book titled "Face of the Spirits: Masks from the Zaire Basin"

        Ed

        Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
        Dear Penny,

        The mask has a neck, a stylistic feature of masks carved by several groups living around or near Lake Tanganyika. The style of your mask fairly closely resembles a style associated with the Tabwa people but there is no scarification or coiffure. (See the photo from a 20 May 2006 Zemanek auction.) It might be from a group neighboring the Tabwa such as the Tumbwe or perhaps the Fipa, a group across the lake from the Tabwa. The Kwere, a group in Tanzania living farther inland from the lake are also known for producing "portrait" masks with necks but the style of your mask does not otherwise much resemble the masks of the Kwere that I have seen. Your mask does have something of the austere, classical look that we see in Hemba Nyembo sculpture but the Hemba did not mask much; the Hemba masks we see in collections do not have necks.

        You will have to do some research! I suggest beginning with the Tabwa.

        Regards,

        Paul