Re: [African_Arts] Nkisi nkondi statue

  • bunumbu
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2013
      I'm afraid your statue was made for the tourist industry. Since you're in Belgium, you should visit the Tuvereen Museum in Brussels so compare it to authentic ones.

      In a message dated 2/5/2013 8:38:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, nikemouk@... writes:

      Hello everybody m'y name is elton i'm from belgium so i'l do m'y best in inglish i havé à statue and would like to Know if it's à réal one i'm sûre it comes from bas Congo and also sûre it was brought to belgium in thé 50's CAN some one help me or let me now what you think of it

    • berzgallery
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
        Hi Elton,

        If you needed another opinion, I would agree with the posting by bunumbu that the piece was made for sale and not use. Outside of the museum trail, you can also see some smaller examples with dealers in the Sablon area in Belgium and in a number of books if you can't make it to the museums. Hope that helps and good luck, Andrew

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2013
          Elton:

          The form is fairly recognizable as Kongo nkisi nkondi, but I would be surprised if indeed its age is quite as indicated.  The figure strikes me as rather more recent and more likely among copious contemporary reproductions of the form adorned with a variety of materials and applied substances to create an impression of greater age, prior usage and ritual authenticity.