Re: [African_Arts] Eban Staff Figures

  • Beth Peart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
       Edan (not Eban) staffs are used within Ogboni societies that govern secular affairs in traditional Yoruba culture. They are fairly rare, whether made for the art market, or not. Afraid I can't weigh in on authenticity of these. I don't see them often enough to have a sense, for certain, though my suspicion is that they were made for the trade. They're missing the chains that bind the figures together, whether through design or accident.  Someone else may fill you in more.
      Cheers
      Beth

      ONÍSÙÚRÙ NI YÍÒ JOGÚN AYÉ
      The patient person shall inherit the earth

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
        A belated thanks for the information. It's very helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to share with me (I know this forum gets a log of "What is this?" postings).

        Happy Chinese New Year,
        jack