Eban Staff Figures

  • chaoslimited
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
      Greetings.

      I have two bronze Yoruba figures (Eban Staff) that I got from my father. I'm pretty sure I know what they are, but what I'm not sure of is the quality. That always seems to be the issue with African items. You have your tourist items made only as decoration. You have items made to LOOK like they're of tribal usage. And then you have vintage, used items... but within that group there is a range of collectibility and value.

      So, my questions are:

      1) Are these Yoruba Eban Staff figures?

      2) Are they tourist of "of use".

      3) What's the opinion of their quality.

      The photos are at:

      and

      and

      Thanks in advance,

      jack
    • Gi Mateusen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
        Hello,
        About your questions:
        1. Indeed these pieces are representing Yoruba Eban staff  figures
        2. It's not easy to give an opinion without the possibility to have the piece in the hand but the oxidation looks  recently made. Normally these figures have on the top of the head a ring to make it possible to connect both figures with a chain. I can't see any trace of this kind. Also the shape of the head and no traces of use give me the impression that the figures are recently made.
        Kind regards

        Op 28-jan.-2013, om 23:10 heeft chaoslimited het volgende geschreven:

        Greetings.

        I have two bronze Yoruba figures (Eban Staff) that I got from my father. I'm pretty sure I know what they are, but what I'm not sure of is the quality. That always seems to be the issue with African items. You have your tourist items made only as decoration. You have items made to LOOK like they're of tribal usage. And then you have vintage, used items... but within that group there is a range of collectibility and value.

        So, my questions are:

        1) Are these Yoruba Eban Staff figures?

        2) Are they tourist of "of use".

        3) What's the opinion of their quality.

        The photos are at:

        and

        and

        Thanks in advance,

        jack

      • Beth Peart
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
           Edan (not Eban) staffs are used within Ogboni societies that govern secular affairs in traditional Yoruba culture. They are fairly rare, whether made for the art market, or not. Afraid I can't weigh in on authenticity of these. I don't see them often enough to have a sense, for certain, though my suspicion is that they were made for the trade. They're missing the chains that bind the figures together, whether through design or accident.  Someone else may fill you in more.
          Cheers
          Beth

          ONÍSÙÚRÙ NI YÍÒ JOGÚN AYÉ
          The patient person shall inherit the earth

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
            A belated thanks for the information. It's very helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to share with me (I know this forum gets a log of "What is this?" postings).

            Happy Chinese New Year,
            jack