An article of possible interest

  • Monroe, John W [HIST]
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2013
      Hello Everyone --

      Since the time-honored "authenticity discussion" seems to have resurfaced, as it inevitably does here from time to time, I thought you all might be interested in an article I've recently published on the topic.  A copy of the text is available here: http://ahr.oxfordjournals.org/content/117/2/445.full.pdf

      It's a study of how the conceptions of "authenticity" now common in the so-called "primitive art" world first took shape.  Since it's written for an audience of historians, I apologize in advance for the density of footnotes and the general dryness of tone.  Still, I thought it might contribute some interesting perspective on this question.

      For those of you who don't have the benefit of a university or library computer, I have an off-print in pdf form that I'd be happy to send you, if you contact me off list.

      John Monroe