RE: [African_Arts] Help with mask

  • Monroe, John W [HIST]
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2013
      It looks to me like a mash-up of Nigerian and Ivoirian styles.  The eyes and overall shape are reminiscent of Ogoni masks, the under-eye scarification is typical of the Igbo, and you see that figure-eight mouth a lot on recent tourist pieces in Baule or Guro style.  As for where it comes from, it's hard to know.  My first guess would be a workshop in Cameroon.

      John Monroe