Akan Goldweights

  • sturm
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2012
      Hallo friends of African Art,

      I have quite an extensive collection of Akan goldweights. I would like to get some comments on quality and my try to group the weights, especially the geometric weights. My collection can be viewed at my website www.akan-goldweights.com.

      I am very interested in having my collection or part of it shown in an exhibition. Does anybody know about upcoming exhibitions. Kindly let me know.

      Regards, Rainer

    • sturm
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2013
        Hallo African Arts Group Members,

        I am a keen collector of Akan (Ashanti) goldweights. I have a collection of more than 2.500 pieces which I collected while living in Accra/Ghana between 1968 and 1975.

        I intend to sell about half of my collection but do not have the right contacts to go about this. Who could give me some ideas or hints how to go about this, naturally depending on the question if you consider my collection being worthwhile to put on sale. I would also appreciate comments regarding quality of my weights and especially my approach as to classification (especially the geometric weights) and other related matters. My collection can be viewed under www.akan-goldweights.com.

        I am looking forward to helpful assistance and remain with kind regards,

        Rainer Sturm