Re: Bronze African Head need info

  • dorisn526
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
      Thank you for a very good starting point. I found this info: http://www.randafricanart.com/Batcham_Headdress.html. If anyone else has any more info to contribute, it would be greatly appreciated.

      Also, I am wondering about the "authenticity" of the piece and it's approximate value.

      Thanks again,
      Doris

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Rubinstein" <leerubinstein@...> wrote:

      > I haven't found much detailed information about this form which is referred to as Batcham-style mask from Cameroon -- rendered in various sizes in both metal and wood. There is, however an example with a wonderful anecdotal -- although not contextual -- description associated with a similar example which came from the estate of Katharine Hepburn:
      > http://www.sothebys.com/fr/catalogues/ecatalogue.html/2004/the-estate-of-katharine-hepburn-n08004#/r=/fr/ecat.fhtml.N08004.html+r.m=/fr/ecat.lot.N08004.html/506/
      >
      > I'm sorry that this link does not offer much ethnographic or symbolic insight, but it does illustrate perhaps the best known example.
      >
      > Lee
      >
      > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "dorisn526" <dorisn526@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > I purchased this mask in upstate New York:
      > > ist
      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/album/1696664824/pic/\
      > > list> . All the information I have is that it is an African bronze head
      > > with basket base from the West Coast. I would appreciate any information
      > > anyone can provide. Some questions I have are:
      > >
      > > - from where specifically/tribe.
      > >
      > > - What is the significance/symbolism of the high forehead and markings
      > >
      > > - what is the use and symbolism of the "ball" in the mouth
      > >
      > > - how was the mask used since there is a cap attached to the base and
      > > yet a weaved ring in the back.
      > > ... and any other insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much
      > > in advance.
      > > Doris

    • Karl - Suzy Norton
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
        Hi, the bronze headdress is an African Tsesah Batcham mask from the Grasslands in Cameroon, but as far as authenticity and age I can't help you as I don't know a lot on bronze pieces.
        Kind regards