Aw: [African_Arts] Reliquary figure

  • jens nagel
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
      Hello, sorry, you have a pure touristic item without value.
      Best regards
      Jens

      Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2012 um 22:07 Uhr
      Von: RonnieG <rongee1@...>
      An: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
      Betreff: [African_Arts] Reliquary figure

      Purchased this Reliquary figure at a flea market some years ago. Would love possible age,value or any history behind this object.Please check photo album:

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
        To explore comparative objects and learn more about the reliquary form which inspired this contemporary rendering, search mbulu ngulu (Kota, Gabon).  There is some general background pertaining to a specific example recently sold at auction:  http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2012/art-dafrique-et-docanie-pf1218/lot.90.lotnum.html

        Lee

        On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM, <GARYGLS2000@...> wrote:

        I'm afraid this reliquary figure was made for the commercial market.

      • RPearsonpe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
          Additionally if you go to the Sotheby's piece site, you can click thru the entire auction (119 pieces) with 'sold' prices, or not sold.
          A bonus from Lee. Thanks Lee.
          bob
          If you want to read & see an interesting study on Kota's, try the Rand Tribal site and go thru the entire study. 25 odd Kota's and I would never have known 'old/authentic/real from new/authentic?/real?' Great writeup. Highly educational. Keep in mind all the gallerys and provenance started with the maker of the piece and whoever brought it out of -hopefully- Africa.

          bob

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 19, 2012
            Ahh, the age-long debate about the 'authenticity' (hence 'value') of African art.  I would be interested in seeing how many of the so-called 'authentic' pieces of antiquity over the last 100 years were NOT made for pure commercial purposes.

            Peter

            Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2012 um 22:07 Uhr
            Von: RonnieG <rongee1@...>
            An: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com

          • rongee1@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2012
              Peter,
              If its not original,I have to say that they did a hell of a job! Has the patina going on the face and a whole lot of time spent on creating this piece of art. The nails holding the copper to the wood and detail involved on this piece are exceptional.

              Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2012 um 22:07 Uhr
              Von: RonnieG <rongee1@...>
              An: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com

            • GARYGLS2000@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 20, 2012
                The Cameroonian workshops produce masterpieces, accurate to the smallest detail. But the problem is that they are being produced to sell to unwary buyers as very old antique pieces. Caveat Emptor.

                Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2012 um 22:07 Uhr
                Von: RonnieG <rongee1@...>
                An: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com