How to repair a broken horn?

  • tom
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2012
      Hi is there any particular way to repair a large broken horn? i bought this mask and the horn is broken, where the horn meet the head got broken right there.

      I was thinking of glueing it back on, but since it is so big, i think it might just fall off over time. If I use glue, is there a special type I should be using? or can I just go to home depot and get whatever the guys there recomended?

      Also if I use a drill to put a screw in will it ruin the mask? as far as keeping it original.

      Please advise and i would love to hear anyone have done this before. Your experience would help.

      thanks
    • Peter Ntephe
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2012
        Why not take it to a museum?  Their conservationists there should be able to fix it for you in the best possible way.  If you have a friendly museum or gallery near you that exhibits sculptures and similar objects, they will be best placed to help.

        Peter

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2012
          good idea thanks , I never though of that, but do you think it cost alot though? Just cold called them?

          On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 10:46 AM PST Peter Ntephe wrote:

          >Why not take it to a museum?  Their conservationists there should be able to fix it for you in the best possible way.  If you have a friendly museum or gallery near you that exhibits sculptures and similar objects, they will be best placed to help.

          >Peter

        • Peter Ntephe
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2012
            Dai,

            It really depends.  If they are real friendly over there, they could probably do it for you for free.  It just depends on their particular attitude over there and the simplicity or complication in fixing the horn (although it doesn't sound like a complicated task, if you ask me).  At the very worst, they could at advise you on the best way to fix it so that you can attempt it yourself.

            Peter