Scam "artists"

  • beepeawee1@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2012
      This is a shout-out to those of us on this list who may interest themselves in collecting contemporary traditional Yoruba Ifa tools and objects, and may have Facebook account: A young man from Oyo, son of the Baale Sango (Shango High Priest) of Oyo, sadly, trolls Facebook and offers services or offers to sell objects shown on his Facebook pages. The photo galleries also always show pictures of the Baale Sango, his father, as do the pages made under his aliases. They also show photos of objects which he does not own. These objects include ones made by the eminent Fakeye family of Ibadan, Idowu Afolabi Ayinde, son of the Baale Esu of Osogbo, and other artisans personally known to me.

      Sangodele Sangomayowa, is known to use at least 10 aliases. He spent some time in jail in Osogbo, about two weeks ago, thanks to his fraudulent activities, and initiated by friends of mine whose arts were being used as a lure by the scammer. Unfortunately he was let go. I am not repeating a rumour. I have firsthand knowledge of activities, and documented conversation with him using one of his aliases, where objects not in the possession of the 'seller' and made and/or owned by people I know, were offered to me to buy.

      Their activities are well-known in traditional Yoruba Religion circles, perhaps not as well known among collectors of well-made, modern, traditional art.

      Forewarned is forearmed. It's best to buy direct from the maker.