Re: Identifying African Art Collection

  • Lawrence
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2012
      I think...

      Maternity figure...has characteristics of various groups including the Dogon, but also Niger River Delta populations...
      Dogon ancestor couple, Mali
      Brass kuduos, Ashanti, Ghana
      Helmet...perhaps Dogon?
      Staff is Senufo

      For my money the nicest items are the kuduos, although the staff is also very nice!

      Lawrence

    • dwolf22@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2012
        I would agree with Lawrence on all counts .... he did however overlook the piece you have labled 'trophy' 1,2, and 3 .... which is a headdress of the Bamana peoples known as a Chiwara or Chi Wara ... a  Google search of Chiwara headdress will give you plenty of material to explore. dwolf

        Maternity figure...has characteristics of various groups including the Dogon, but also Niger River Delta populations...
        Dogon ancestor couple, Mali
        Brass kuduos, Ashanti, Ghana
        Helmet...perhaps Dogon?
        Staff is Senufo

        For my money the nicest items are the kuduos, although the staff is also very nice!

        Lawrence

        --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Jocelyn" <harriojv@...> wrote:

        > Good Day Group:
        >
        > My husband and I have several pieces that we need some help identifying and getting specific information on. The items are submitted on the following link:
        >
        > View under photos as - "Harrios African Art".
        > Any and all information provided will be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > The 'Female figure' weighs 46 lbs - height 57 1/4"; the 'Couple' weighs 15 lbs - height 28 1/4"; 'Brass holders' - both weigh one lb each, height 6 1/4"; 'Helmet' 8" diameter, weight 5 lbs; Staff with carving on top - 61" length; Patterned staff - 72" length.
        >
        > Sincere thanks,
        > Jocelyn

      • Karl - Suzy Norton
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
          I agree with the Bamana  Chi Wara headdress, The Dogon Ancestral couple, the Senufo Staff, Dogon crown but not the part about the maternity figure having characteristics of other tribes including the Dogon! this is definately a Senufo maternity figure / statue as we have a few which we bought back from a Senufo village.
          Karl
          E.A.A