Re: please help identifying sculpture

  • kdragt
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2012
      I know, Im very shallow:) and thinking he never went anywhere besides basic training and then Africa, I couldnt imagine he brought it home from some exotic land. But I appreciate your thoughts and will now follow up on what I can find about New Guinea or Asiatic art or just add it on top of the wood pile. It honestly does not appeal to me, I was just hoping it would to someone!
      Rich

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Ed Jones <bucit@...> wrote:

      > What makes you think it is African?   Looks to me as if it may have a "Paupa New Guinea" (Sepik), or Asiatic appeal...

    • Ed Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2012
        Rich,
        I certainly do not think you are shallow.  I simply do not think this bust / facial sculpture has an African tribal affiliation
        Perhaps, Papa New Guinea (Sepik), Oceanic, or Asiatic works may be a closer target of attribution.

        You might also try taking the item to a local tribal art retail shop or dealer, or sending a photo of it to known Oceanic, Asiatic dealers for their opinion(s).
        Someone out there can get you relatively close on this one.

        Ed