Looking for Help with this Mask

  • PVL
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2012
      I purchased this mask recently at an auction and I can't seem to find one like it, wondering if anyone has some insight, any help is appreciated! I've put a photo under pvl mask, thanks!

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2012
        Given the mask's relative simplicity of form, I would recommend focusing your search for comparative examples among masks from southern East Africa -- particularly from Tanzania (especially southern) and possibly Mozambique.  Such an exploration should yield some fruitful directions for identifying masks with similarity of form and stylistic elements.  However, given the ambiguity and overlap of attributions of such possibly related mask forms, it may difficult to arrive at a specific conclusion regarding origin.  Still, that is where I would begin a visual survey while also seeking any collection data that might be available (e.g., it would be helpful if you are able to identify other materials that may have been offered from the same collection as the mask which you acquired).

        Lee

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21, 2012