Antelope Mask Origin

  • chaoslimited
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2012
      Greetings. I'm glad I found this forum. My dad spent several months in Africa in the 1960s working for the Department of Agriculture. He died a few years back (at the age of 92) and I've ended up with some things... a few I can figure out, but some I'm having trouble with.

      The antelope mask is about 33 inches long and painted. Here's a photo

      There are a total of 3 pics of this piece in my photo album: DadAfrican17.jpg, DadAfrican18.jpg and DadAfrican19.jpg.

      He brought back Massai items... and a mossi sukomse crest mask, but I can't place this to any region from my research. Is it a hybrid tourist piece? It seems older to me (some of his items were gifts from government officials).

      Thanks in advance,
      jack
    • chaoslimited
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2012
        Hi... I figured I'd check again to see if anyone had any thoughts. I've done a bit more research and I've found similar associated with the Burkina Fasso.

        Thanks in advance,
        jack

        --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "chaoslimited" <salesforce@...> wrote:

        > Greetings. I'm glad I found this forum. My dad spent several months in Africa in the 1960s working for the Department of Agriculture. He died a few years back (at the age of 92) and I've ended up with some things... a few I can figure out, but some I'm having trouble with.
        >
        > The antelope mask is about 33 inches long and painted. Here's a photo

        > There are a total of 3 pics of this piece in my photo album: DadAfrican17.jpg, DadAfrican18.jpg and DadAfrican19.jpg.
        >
        > He brought back Massai items... and a mossi sukomse crest mask, but I can't place this to any region from my research. Is it a hybrid tourist piece? It seems older to me (some of his items were gifts from government officials).
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > jack

      • Elizabeth Busbee
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2012
          Agreed on Burkina Faso.  Check out Bobo or Bwa art styles for the rooster and antelope masks.  No idea on age/authenticity but those are similar.

          Elizabeth R. Busbee, PhD
          www.SereusLLC.com

          To: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
          From: salesforce@...
          Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:44:33 +0000
          Subject: [African_Arts] Re: Antelope Mask Origin

          Hi... I figured I'd check again to see if anyone had any thoughts. I've done a bit more research and I've found similar associated with the Burkina Fasso.

          Thanks in advance,
          jack

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "chaoslimited" <salesforce@...> wrote:

          > Greetings. I'm glad I found this forum. My dad spent several months in Africa in the 1960s working for the Department of Agriculture. He died a few years back (at the age of 92) and I've ended up with some things... a few I can figure out, but some I'm having trouble with.
          >
          > The antelope mask is about 33 inches long and painted. Here's a photo

          > There are a total of 3 pics of this piece in my photo album: DadAfrican17.jpg, DadAfrican18.jpg and DadAfrican19.jpg.
          >
          > He brought back Massai items... and a mossi sukomse crest mask, but I can't place this to any region from my research. Is it a hybrid tourist piece? It seems older to me (some of his items were gifts from government officials).
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > jack

        • chaoslimited
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012