Re: [African_Arts] Response to Beth Pearl's query

  • Beth Peart
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2012
      Thank you, Jeff. By colour  and pattern I did think it might be Ijebu. Am inquiring for a friend who recently acquired it.
      On 2012-09-15, at 4:56 PM, Jeff Spurr wrote:

      Dear Beth,

      I belatedly saw your query regarding the Yoruba tunic. It is an
      unusual adaptation for wearing of a textile usually worn wrapped. I
      assume it is a modern usage, or a treatment to which the textile was
      subjected outside its principal area of traditional use. The colors
      suggest that it is not terribly old. I am quoting Duncan Clarke who
      succinctly describes these textiles:

      "Woven by Ijebu Yoruba women in the town of Ijebu-Ode and its
      surroundings, these extraordinary cloths are used as insignia of
      office by Ijebu chiefs and members of a society known as Ogboni
      (which in the past had responsibilities for the worship of the Earth
      deity and advised the king.) The designs represent various important
      spirit familiars including frogs, crocodiles etc."

      They are discussed by Picton and Mack, and, I assume by John Gillow
      but do not recollect for certain. The most thorough discussion of
      Nigerian textiles that I am acquainted with is:

      Author : Lamb, Venice.
      Title : Nigerian weaving / Venice Lamb & Judy Holmes.
      Published : Roxford, [England] : H.A. & V.M. Lamb, 1980.

      Kind regards,

      Jeff Spurr