Re: 1950s or earlier collection of West African art

  • Garett
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2012
      Yes, I suppose some pictures would be helpful...

      I uploaded photos to a new album titled "West African Collection 1950s":

      All of these masks are from the same collection except the one titled "Guro Mask [1-3]". I'm only guessing that particular mask is Guro, and it may be modern. The other 5 items pictured in the gallery are from a collection amassed by a missionary in Liberia. He was there in the 1950s. I have documentation, pictures, and notes from his time in Liberia.

      Looking forward to any thoughts or comments.

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "Garett" <gtraines@...> wrote:

      > Hello all. I was happy to find this group.
      >
      > I have a small collection of African art that was obtained by a Liberian missionary in the 1950s. I am considering parting with the collection as I move into a smaller home, but am not sure how to go about appraising or selling my items. Would appreciate any advice on the matter. The origin of the collection is fully documented, and I can more fully describe the items if it will help.
      >
      > Thank you.

    • Jeff Spurr
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2012
        RE: [African_Arts] 1950s or earlier collection of West Afr
        Hello All,

        I have a personal interest and extensive knowledge of African textiles and costume in case this collection contains such items as well as the more usual three-dimensional art.

        Yours truly,

        Jeff Spurr

        Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 15:41:20 -0400
        Subject: RE: [African_Arts] 1950s or earlier collection of West African art