Ceremony pot?

  • brooke welty
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2012
      Hi everyone. I'm a little curious about this item which is carried at a shop I used to work in. This is sadly the only image I have of it. It weighs 45 pounds and is around 4 1/2 feet long. It's in pretty good shape, apart from some crack repair work. I'm just curious as far as what regional style this is done in, and what uses it may have? The dealer told us it was a "ceremonial pot" from Cameroon, but someone else told me it was actually a casket for the burial of a beloved hunting dog.

      Thanks for any help!

      Brooke

      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/14281210/sn/110208064/name/ceremonypot__90791_zoom.jpg
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2012
        Brooke:

        While I cannot indicate its usage -- ceremonial or decorative, I feel reasonably confident that the style and content of surface carving would suggest that the lidded pot is carved in the Cameroon Grasslands.

        Lee