Re: [African_Arts] Bamun Bell?

  • carol@highdesertoutreach.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2012
    Thank you for your reply. There is bell with similar animals and shape on eBay. Photos of that one are attached. The owner of that one does not know where that one came from, either. They called it copper, but it is probably brass.

    However there is one that is identified as a Bamum bell here . It is much larger than mine.
    barakatgallery.com/store/index.cfm/FuseAction/ItemDetails/UserID/0/CFID/72152283/CFTOKEN/6aa9b4672bdbdd8c-F440A402-3048-33BC-FC7D936D6F45629B/jsessionid/84303abd948b97ecb1cb7863406e7c46721e/CategoryID/30/SubCategoryID/781/ItemID/11367.htm

    I did see a couple of others with similar construction on the bell, but they had human figures on the top instead of the bird.

    Truthfully, I don’t know very much about African art, but enjoy research. This seemed to be a good place to start.

    Carol

    Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:55 AM
    Subject: RE: [African_Arts] Bamun Bell?

    The animals used would imply it's from a coastal culture.  This is a bit of a stretch, but the Taita of Kenya used bells (Mmanga) in ritual shrines.  Check Grace Harris' 1978 ethnography on the Taita for a few photos.  I don't have it in my library, nor do I remember specifics about the design of the bells - I recall they were dome shaped like that one, rather than round like sleigh bells.

    Hope this helps!

    Elizabeth R. Busbee, PhD
    www.SereusLLC.com

    To: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
    From: carol@...
    Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 11:54:29 +0000
    Subject: [African_Arts] Bamun Bell?

    I am trying to ID this small bird bell. It is either brass or bronze, about 6 inches tall. Photos are in album called Bird Bell:

  • carol@highdesertoutreach.com
    Message 2 of 4 , Aug 30, 2012
      Here is another example (much older) with similarity of design.

      The little bell was given to me at a yard sale. I liked the animals and had no idea it might be African. It would be nice if it turned out to not be a tourist item.

      Carol

      From: carol@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 11:54:29 +0000