Re: [African_Arts] art under threat

  • Ed Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2012
      Interesting article indeed.  Thanks.

      The reality; Africa has been under siege from the time Christianity and Islam began their tyranny and crusades, not to mention the exploitation of the lands to build and equip Europe thtough their colonialism --- draining and devastating the entire continent.  The stripping of culture and negative-obtrusive perspectives and centuries of denigration to the peoples (including those which were/are part of the world-wide diaspora).  When will it cease?  Now, China.

      Although I have had his book for quite some time, I am not a fan of Rene' Bravmann, and I think his logic is "half-baked".   He must have been a case study of sort himslef as a lecturer and college professor.   Never-the-less, he does impose a few challenging questions about Islam and "tribal" Africa... http://www.amazon.com/Islam-Tribal-Africa-African-Studies/dp/0521201926/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

      If many of us in the "cult following" of African art actually focused more attention to the text and word composition rather than only the wonderful, attractive full-page photos of the eye-candy relics, we would know that market art and indigenous Africans were supplying an gullible/ignorant and some-what insatiable western world of collectors as early in some areas (like the Congo) as early as the 19th C.; http://www.amazon.com/Mayombe-Ritual-Statues-Jo-Tollebeek/dp/9020991833/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

      Islam has been in Sudan since the 11th C with the Za / Dia dynasty.   And when we consider Sudan and now the newly formed country of South Sudan, we can see the devastation of tribal peoples such as the Belanda, Dinka, Bongo and certainly the decimation of their sacred lands and reliquary burial figures... All for the insatiable appetites of the Western worlds.
      I'll stop.  It is nice to know others (like yourself)  are not only captivated/motivated by the "art" and market trends... African relics are much more than that.

      Ed