Re: [African_Arts] Bronze plaque - Benin

  • Arkitetwool art
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2012
      Good night and many thanks for your advises. I'm interested in selling the plaque, which is the best company for me to assess the real value of this Plaque? If anyone is interested to buy it, you  can send me a private email to paulo.barreira@gmail.com.

      Thanks to all

      Paulo

      2012/7/28 Lee Rubinstein <leerubinstein@...>

      One important thing to remember is that quality of work is not a verification of authenticity;  further, it is important to define and clarify of specifically what an object is purported to be an authentic example.  Do you mean pre-1898 pillaged work later recirculated commercially?  Do you mean authentic 20th century production from the lineages of casters in Benin City?

      One characteristic observable in the plaque queried is the odd downward (almost flipper-like) extension of the feet -- as opposed to the perpendicular (or nearly so) plane that the feet of most illustrated examples display.  This particular detail deviates from comparative examples which are readily accessible via on-line searches and in books.  Although the sampling to which I have current access is by no means comprehensive, this is one detail that for me begs further scrutiny.

      Lee

      On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM, <RPearsonpe@...> wrote:

      While it looks 'good' in the photos, I have several that look 'good' but are recent reproductions, I think. Yes you need a professional appraisal or two and a sample of the metal for analysis. Otherwise consider it a top quality reproduction.

      bob

      In a message dated 7/28/2012 10:25:32 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, bendetag@... writes:

      From the looks of it, it seems to be the real thing.  I have seen pieces of this quality go for many, many thousands of dollars.  I am not going to speculate how much it would bring, but I consider it an outstanding and authentic piece of art.  and if you are going to sell it, get an appraisal first.

      On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM, born2african <arkitetwool@...> wrote:

      Good night to all members of this forum so interesting. I just registered and would like to know your opinion on a bronze plaque of the kingdom of Benin.
      My brother and I were born in Africa and create a modern art gallery that sells and also pieces of our homeland - Tribal Art. We have in our possession came directly from our fathers Collector in Africa, an extraordinary plaque that weigths 20 kg / 20.000 g, all bronze with the following measures 42 X 57 cm, from de the Benin Kingdom.

      You can see a pic here:

      I am not sure if it is a genuine piece or a fake. I have published pictures in the album "Arkitetwool". Wo can help? ? What is the value of this plaque, ? It is a very nice piece and the detailing is excellent.

      You can see our gallery here
      http://www.arkitetwool.com

      Thank you all
      Best Regards
      Paulo Barreira

    • arie
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2012
        Hi Paulo,
        The new issue of African Art Magazine solely devoted to Benin Art [particulary to 20th century brass casting]
        The most comprehensive work on this subject in my opinion.
        You can ask some of the  scholars that wrote article in the magazine to explain you  why your plaque  is from  late 20th century.
        Regards,
        Ari

[...]

        From the looks of it, it seems to be the real thing.  I have seen pieces of this quality go for many, many thousands of dollars.  I am not going to speculate how much it would bring, but I consider it an outstanding and authentic piece of art.  and if you are going to sell it, get an appraisal first.

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7358 (20120805) __________