Re: [SPAM] Re: [African_Arts] Boston's Museum Of Fine Arts Urged To Return Looted Artifa...

  • Paul Barford
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2012
      > England has the preferred concept for reimbursing the finders of antiquities, rather than the 'we are the government and can seize whatever you find' concept in most other countries.<

      I thought the bulk of the items taken by the British Punitive Expedition were made FOR the state. As I recall the only "reimbursement" at the time was the killing of lots of people and the burning down of the palace and surrounding buildings. Have the British Museum subsequently offered the Nigerians and Greeks the "full market price" for these objects then? When?

      Why not travel to see the art? Where would you go to see Polish or Czech art? Delhi?

      Paul Barford