Re: [African_Arts] Shona sculpture

  • Ann Porteus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2012
      Daniel,
      A good reference book which may well answer your curiosity is Contemporary Stone Sculpture in Zimbabwe. Context, Content & Form.
      Celia Winter-Irving.
      ISBN 976-8097-37-x
      It was published by Craftsman House in 1993.

      Maybe it is still available somewhere.
      Ann

      Ann Porteus
      Sidewalk Tribal Gallery
      19-21 Castray Esplanade,
      Battery Point 7004
      Hobart Tasmania Australia

      On 13/07/2012, at 1:26 AM, poeticlicenser wrote:

      This query may be too general yet idiosyncratic to receive an answer, but years ago--I think it was the 1990s, possibly the early to mid part of the decade--I saw some Shona sculpture in New York and was impressed by the abstract, suggestive, and monumental qualities of the pieces (I'm thinking of what seemed to be large marble heads). I always wanted to learn more about that work, but have few specific references for it; and I was reminded of it recently when seeing the old film Three Coins in the Fountain, when in a scene in an Italian museum, there was a similar somewhat abstract sculpture of a head. The film is older than the work I saw in New York, and I began to wonder about influences. If these works are related, who influenced whom first? Was an Italian artist influenced by African work, or were African artists influenced by Italian work; or are the similarities coincidental?

      Looking today on the internet, I could not find an exact photo or example of either work, African or Italian, though the works of the African sculptors Enos Gunja, Fanizani Akude, and Edward Chiwawa bear some relationship. And, I see that Olga Sicilia has written a book on Shona sculpture, discussing the aesthetics and politics of it and its interpretation.

      Does anyone recall those past exhibits of Shona sculpture in New York?
      Does anyone have any idea about what was said then about the orientation of it?

      (Thanks. I appreciate your consideration.)

      Daniel

    • Mon Bakota
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2012
        hello Ann

        I've appreciate your website and hope that we can do get a good relationship in a future.

        I can provide you old mende mask and old punu mask and other old mask who are very rare.

        my website is www.monbakota.com, base in Cameroon- central africa.

        If you agree I can send you some pictures tolet you know the quality of items I can provide you.

        Martine