Doll, Fali tribe, N Cameroon, Adamawa Mtns,

  • rpearsonpe
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2012
      Photos are located at:

      This doll is described as from the Fali tribe, N Cameroon, Adamawa Mtns, and used by the women as a personal fertility item, or possibly burial rites.
      It appears to be an iron wire core, two heads, densely wrapped with leather stripes. Size is 7" long by 4" wide by 4 " deep. Field collected in the 1980's. (Description by the Seller).

      Does anyone have or have you seen a similar 'doll' ? Think the description is correct ? It does not appear to be a 'made for the trade' item, but does show some use and wear.

      bob
    • gi mateusen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2012
        Yes, this an Fali or Matacom doll. I have several of them in my collection, see also http://www.artafrica.fr/les-fali/1210-poupee-fetiche-fali.html
        and http://www.hamillgallery.com/MATACOM/MatacomFigures/MatacomCouple01.html
        I have a lot of problems to find my pictures back on my old computer, if I can find them I will send some photo's in an album

      • dileepmehta@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 5 , May 19, 2012
          A very similar but leather-clad doll has been identified as 'Ga'anda doll' from the eastern border area of Nigeria in the Yale Van Rijn archive [#01001781 images 1-4]. Reportedly, Mr. Sommerhauge stated that normally fiber [like your doll] rather than leather is used in Ga'anda dolls. Unfortunately, no additional information is provided.
          According to Maas in Marla Berns' recent [edited] book "Central Nigeria Unmasked", Ga'anda peoples have been familiar with sophisticated metal casting, but there is no specific mention of dolls like yours.
          So the designation of Ga'nda vs. Fali remains unsettled, although it is conceivable that both groups use such dolls.
          Dileep

        • RPearsonpe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 20, 2012
            From Dileep
            "A very similar but leather-clad doll has been identified as 'Ga'anda doll' from the eastern border area of Nigeria in the Yale Van Rijn archive [#01001781 images 1-4]. Reportedly, Mr. Sommerhauge stated that normally fiber [like your doll] rather than leather is used in Ga'anda dolls. Unfortunately, no additional information is provided.
            According to Maas in Marla Berns' recent [edited] book "Central Nigeria Unmasked", Ga'anda peoples have been familiar with sophisticated metal casting, but there is no specific mention of dolls like yours.
            So the designation of Ga'nda vs. Fali remains unsettled, although it is conceivable that both groups use such dolls. "
            Dileep
            I looked at mine again, and the wrappings appear to be both cord and leather strips, around a body mass of unknown material (reminds me of the 'Boli' figures, but I believe the body mass material in that case is mud and manure).
            Thank you both for the information. A nice piece and I believe 'authentic' and used.

            bob

            In a message dated 5/20/2012 7:39:41 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, mateusen@... writes:
            Yes, this an Fali or Matacom doll. I have several of them in my collection, see also http://www.artafrica.fr/les-fali/1210-poupee-fetiche-fali.html
            and http://www.hamillgallery.com/MATACOM/MatacomFigures/MatacomCouple01.html
            I have a lot of problems to find my pictures back on my old computer, if I can find them I will send some photo's in an album
          • Ann Porteus
            Message 5 of 5 , May 20, 2012
              Hi all,
              I agree that they may be either from the Ga'anda or Fali.
              I saw a few from the North when I was last in Cameroon.
              I bought them all. They are hand forged iron with fibre (I think cotton) tightly bound and metal decoration. I do also have another leather bound doll fetish without the iron which I collected some years ago. It is bound around cloth.
              Follow the links:
              I like the little iron fetish as well and imagine it is from the border area of Cameroon and Nigeria but sorry I cannot enlighten you to its origin or use.

              Ann Porteus
              Sidewalk Tribal Gallery
              Tel: +61414340331
              Fax: +61362240331