Re: Can you help ID this piece?

  • Gi Mateusen
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2012
    You will find in attachment 2 pages of the book "Afrikanische Impressionen"
    by R . Guldrager, Düsseldorf 1980. The text in German says. The bronze
    pieces are from the Bobo- Fing peaple in Burkino Faso. A lot of wooden masks
    have a pendant in bronze.Each 5 year there is a big dance ritual. The masks
    are dancing around these small bronze statues during a hole night to become
    protection and power for the next 5 years.
    The other picture is my piece, it's very simular to yours.
    Kind regards
    --
    Gi Mateusen
    mobile: +.32.(0)477.300679
    Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2012
      Gi- Thanks very much for the photos and translation! Even if I could have found that book, which is unlikely, the German would have been lost on me.

      Best regards,
      Chris

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Gi Mateusen <mateusen@...> wrote:

      > You will find in attachment 2 pages of the book "Afrikanische Impressionen"
      > by R . Guldrager, Düsseldorf 1980. The text in German says. The bronze
      > pieces are from the Bobo- Fing peaple in Burkino Faso. A lot of wooden masks
      > have a pendant in bronze.Each 5 year there is a big dance ritual. The masks
      > are dancing around these small bronze statues during a hole night to become
      > protection and power for the next 5 years.
      > The other picture is my piece, it's very simular to yours.
      > Kind regards
      > --
      > Gi Mateusen
      > mobile: +.32.(0)477.300679
      > E-mail: mateusen@...

    • stellatebronze
      Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2012
        Hello,
        I have seen these figures from time to time, but I have never been quite sure about them, authenticity-wise, because of their patina. I have seen maybe 10 of these over the years and uniformly they have a very even, non-variegated surface-- which is not generally what one expects to see with old metal-work ( their surfaces are not comparable to say Dan figurines, for example). One auction catalogue I know has examples: Sotheby Parke Bernet PRIMITIVE ART Public auction Sat Apr 22, 1972 features two lots 31 and 32, listed as Bobo bronze figure 10.5 and 13.25 inches respectively. See image:

        regards,
        Scott