Re: [African_Arts] Look for Info on My African Chair / Throne?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12 1:09 PM
      Debby:

      One can find a good number of contemporary chairs, "thrones" and stools inspired by traditional works from the Cameroon Grasslands (or Grassfields) if searched more narrowly within the geographic and cultural confines of the area from which the forms originate.  They are commonly referred to or described as Bamoun or Bamileke although they are not necessarily attributable as the traditional works which they resemble from these artistic traditions.  They may indeed be carved in commercial workshops in this particular area although production is not necessarily limited thereto.  As is true of your chair (or "throne), these remarkable pieces of functional furniture tend to include the repetition of a variety of traditional motifs associated with Grasslands cultures -- animals, musical instruments, human figures, etc.  As this is a non-ritual item frequently reproduced or recreated with diverse variations, my guess is that any increase in value that might have been expected is to an extent delimited by the current economic conditions.  Works that were being actively traded a decade ago and frequently profitably are far more difficult to sell right now for even as much as the original purchase price.  Still, they are quite wonderful both visually and functionally.  Perhaps you might find greater commercial appreciation for your chair as a relatively unique and bold decorative offering rather than as a cultural artifact.  Still, it may yet retain its ability to convey a sense and impression of key symbols from the rich complex of Cameroon Grasslands cultures as well as the remarkable creativity and artistry in the region.

      Lee

      On Mar 11, 2012, at 4:00 PM, Debby wrote:

      Greetings! I purchased this wonderful piece from Magellan Trader's in Tucson Arizona in 1995. I have since lost my receipt and am trying to find out any information on it I can. I have written to Magellan's as well, and hope to hear back from them. Can't find anything like it on my internet searches and do not want to sell it without accurate info.  I posted the pics in the photo area under "african chair". If anyone could give any info - it would help!  Do you think the value for an item like this has increased in the past 17 years?  It is huge - at 5"7" tall - 26" wide and 25" deep - the seat is about 4" thick - has a dry/age crack that does not in anyway weaken it - it is solid as a rock.