Recent Acquisitions - To Share

  • turley19at
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2012
      I have recently come back from a few weeks in Burkina Faso (what a great country) and of course brought back a few masks with me - some older and some new.

      For the sheer joy of exploring, collecting and sharing I have posted 6 of them in an album (2 shots of each).

      There are 4 traditional forms from the Bobo and 2 from the Ivory Coast.

      Things that might be of interest:

      1. I found the figure on top of the Kpelie particularly intriguing - I am confident this piece has age (from a village I visited on the border)
      2. The Bobo piece with the repaired crest has very "Dr Suess like" characteristics and I have since managed to track down a single image of the style from a 1970's publication
      3. The polychrome pieces vary in age

      I'll post the remaining pieces when they have been shot - they are shot to be placed on black backgrounds so please forgive the shadows on the wall.

      If you are interested, Burkina Faso photos from the trip are at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fragments-of-Africa/157096650974287?ref=ts

      Enjoy.....
      Andrew