Is this a Bobo mask?

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2012
      I recently purchased this mask, which was once in the collection of Simon Ottenberg; he is an emeritus professor of Anthropology at the University of Washington, Seattle. I was told that it entered his collection around 1960, but don't know if he actually collected it during one of his trips. I can't find any other examples of this style, and would appreciate any comments as to its origin or purpose, and of course, authenticity. The mask is about 16 inches tall, but not excessively heavy for its size. Oddly, there is a plug at the top and at the bottom, making me wonder if it was originally on a staff, or acted as a finial. The nose is red on one side, and white on the other. I have posted 2 pictures in a folder labeled "RP Kenmore":

      Thanks,

      Ron