Re: [African_Arts] Has anyone seen anything like this before?

  • Gary Schulze
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2012
      I believe it may be Ndengese.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Ann Porteus <ann@...>
      To: African_Arts <African_Arts@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 8:44 am
      Subject: [African_Arts] Has anyone seen anything like this before?

      Hello all,
      I am writing this time to request help in identifying a piece that I collected some years ago.
      It came from the collection of a Lega dealer who always found some really good pieces.
      I was told that it is Pende but have never been able to verify what it is nor how it may have been used.
      I do wonder if it may be Kuba or another group from the area.
      The wood is old, reasonably hard but light weighing a little less than 2kg with fairly extensive dry rot and a little termite damage.
      Measures 68 x 32 cm

      I have attempted without any luck to find more information about this piece. I think that it is authentic and quite old.
      I do have reference to a 2 footed Luba mask on page 266 of Africa, Tribal art of Forrest and Savannah by Arnold Bamert.
      This piece is also included with an image in http://www.anthroposys.be/LubamasquesfauvesVolper.pdf
      on Page 8

      I have posted images to my Flickr page:
      Do hope that someone can help.
      ann

      Ann Porteus
      Sidewalk Tribal Gallery
      19-21 Castray Esplanade,
      Battery Point 7004
      Hobart Tasmania&nbs p;Australia
      +613 62240331
      ABN:99 900 255 141

      < div>

    • Paul DeLucco
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2012
        Dear Ann,

        It is an odd piece with a mix of styles from various Kuba clans although the prevailing style is Ndengese. The head, with a deep concavity like a mask, with headdress flaring at the temples is classic Ndengeese style. The bird is stylistically Bushoong. It resembles a bird figure carved on the pedestal of one of the Kuba ndop figures. The eyes circled with concentric rings recall the eyes of the flat Bashileele masks.

        I don't think the Ndengeese people carve masks. The Leele mask is typically flat.

        The big foot? In the regions of the Kasais, big feet on a sculpture are said to indicate extensive land ownership by the clan that owns the figure.

        It is nicely carved.

        Sorry. Not much help.

        Regards,

        Paul

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidewalk_tribal_galleries/sets/72157628906863641/detail/
        Do hope that someone can help.
        ann

        Ann Porteus
        Sidewalk Tribal Gallery
        19-21 Castray Esplanade,
        Battery Point 7004
        Hobart Tasmania Australia
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidewalk_tribal_galleries/collections/
        +613 62240331
        ABN:99 900 255 141

      • RPearsonpe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 18, 2012
          Bizarre. Were the foot and bird attached separately ? Could it be an old African Proverb ? I am reminded of sayings such as:
          1. Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, and
          2. "If the Foo (bird) shits, wear it".

          My input is not much help, but great photos of an interesting piece.

          bob

          In a message dated 1/18/2012 6:44:45 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, ann@... writes:

[...]

        • Ann Porteus
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2012
            Thank you Paul and Gary,
            I really appreciate your taking time to look and I think you are right.
            All the best,
            ann

            On 19/01/2012, at 3:24 AM, Paul DeLucco wrote:

            Dear Ann,

            It is an odd piece with a mix of styles from various Kuba clans although the prevailing style is Ndengese. The head, with a deep concavity like a mask, with headdress flaring at the temples is classic Ndengese style. The bird is stylistically Bushoong. It resembles a bird figure carved on the pedestal of one of the Kuba ndop figures. The eyes circled with concentric rings recall the eyes of the flat Bashileele masks.