Is this an authenthic Nkisi?

  • miertje2777777
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2012
      Hello all,

      Im a new into African art. I have the opportunity to buy the following Nkisi, which I found very attractive.

      Could someone help me to see if it looks like an authentic Nkisi or not?

      The seller says it's an old piece, comming from someone who has traveled in Africa for a long time.

      According to the seller, the glass on the eyes and on the belly is still intact.

      Photo's:

      http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/005sni.jpg/

      http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/006wxn.jpg/

      http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/007is.jpg/

      http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/008gjw.jpg/

      Thanks for all.

      Miranda
    • Joseph Anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2012
        He is lying through his teeth. It is not old and he is just another
        salesman. Pass on it.
      • jacquesrivest
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2012
          Actually, it is called a NKondi. It is a recent piece for sure. Is it a Nkisi you ask ? To have the name of Nkisi, it must have been used for it's original purpose which I doubt (at first, a NKondi was used for "archivist purpose" of the village). If by NKisi, the seller ment it was hand made (fétish), he is correct. It is a good piece but not expensive. The more older pieces will easely reach 100K$ and more.
          Jacques

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "miertje2777777" <miranda27@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > Im a new into African art. I have the opportunity to buy the following Nkisi, which I found very attractive.
          >
          > Could someone help me to see if it looks like an authentic Nkisi or not?
          >
          > The seller says it's an old piece, comming from someone who has traveled in Africa for a long time.
          >
          > According to the seller, the glass on the eyes and on the belly is still intact.
          >
          > Photo's:
          >
          > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/005sni.jpg/
          >
          > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/006wxn.jpg/
          >
          > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/007is.jpg/
          >
          > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/008gjw.jpg/
          >
          > Thanks for all.
          >
          > Miranda

        • francisco blanco
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2012
            It could be. I had a monkey Nkissi some time ago, but it was different than yours. The face it reminds me, Bulu figure.

            Actually, it is called a NKondi. It is a recent piece for sure. Is it a Nkisi you ask ? To have the name of Nkisi, it must have been used for it's original purpose which I doubt (at first, a NKondi was used for "archivist purpose" of the village). If by NKisi, the seller ment it was hand made (fétish), he is correct. It is a good piece but not expensive. The more older pieces will easely reach 100K$ and more.
            Jacques

            --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "miertje2777777" <miranda27@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > Im a new into African art. I have the opportunity to buy the following Nkisi, which I found very attractive.
            >
            > Could someone help me to see if it looks like an authentic Nkisi or not?
            >
            > The seller says it's an old piece, comming from someone who has traveled in Africa for a long time.
            >
            > According to the seller, the glass on the eyes and on the belly is still intact.
            >
            > Photo's:
            >
            > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/005sni.jpg/
            >
            > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/006wxn.jpg/
            >
            > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/007is.jpg/
            >
            > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/008gjw.jpg/
            >
            > Thanks for all.
            >
            > Miranda

          • David Norden

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
                I posted some image of NKondi I have, check them out
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/album/1193089081/pic/list

                Jacques