Guro Zamble, Zaule, Je…..or just tourist art?

  • turley19at
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2012
      I've just come back from a trip part exploring / part collecting in Burkina Faso and there were a couple of masks acquired intrigued me so I thought others might be interested.

      This Guro piece was picked up in the south close to the border from a trader that made regular hops across into the Ivory Coast.

      Its not "antique" or particularly old…I'd say maybe 20 years….maybe a bit older

      The carving, balance and aesthetic were particularly strong (for me anyway)

      At first I thought northern Guro Zamble. The anomalies being the cast of the eyes (being more central Guro Je style - Zeiwe) and the lack of paint (although it does look as though black and white pigments have been present and scraped off….perhaps in an attempt to make it look "older")

      Then I thought maybe Zamble Ple Ple – a variant of the Zamble - "strong strong" Zamble as a shorter horned mask that embodies Zaule –normally represented by a horned mask with distended cheeks.

      Then I thought maybe it's a goat from a Je masquerade that has similarities to a Zamble

      Or maybe I'm just fantasizing and you think its tourist art?