New member with identification question

  • swoda151
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2011
      Hi!

      I've been reading here for a little while now, and I'm curious about some items that were given to me as a gift about a year ago.  I've done a little research and I think the mask/helmet is Mende, but I know nothing about the bowl.  It weighs about 5 times as much as the mask/helmet. Can you point me in the right direction to find out a bit more about them?

      Swoda
    • Gary Schulze
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2011
        The mask is worn by a Sowei or senior female official in the Mende Bondo Society of Sierra Leone. The bowl appears to be from the Baule people of the Ivory Coast.
        .

        I've been reading here for a little while now, and I'm curious about some items that were given to me as a gift about a year ago.  I've done a little research and I think the mask/helmet is Mende, but I know nothing about the bowl.  It weighs about 5 times as much as the mask/helmet. Can you point me in the right direction to find out a bit more about them?

        Swoda
      • houkura
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2011
          Gotta agree with Gary...Mask is Mende people of Sierra Leone-an initiation ceremony mask to be general while the bowl is Baole people from Ivory Coast.

          Best,

          Bradley Reiman