Need feedback please

  • tomkocsis
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
      Hi,

      There are couple of objects that I came across recently from DRC. I usually get offers from a reliable source and I've buying from the same person for the past 3 yrs. Here, however, I'd like some opinions on the statues and a Bembe mask that I've hunting for a long time now.

      Luba statue:

      Luba statue II:

      Bembe mask

      Thanks,
      Tom
    • dwolf22@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
        Hi Tom ... the 'Luba' statue of the 1st link you provided is a fetish figure belonging to the Hemba peoples who were at one time, subjects of the Luba. This object is called a 'kabeja'. You can find plenty of references online. There is also one in Bacquart's 'The Tribal Arts of Africa' pg 160... and one in the May 14 2004 Sotheby's New York Auction Catalouge ... item 68 on page 75... and this bit of info - the source of which I don't recall ....

        "The Hemba attribute great importance to the kabeja, a Janus-shaped statuette, which has a single body but a double face, male and female, on a single neck. At the top of the kabeja is a small receptacle meant to hold magic ingredients. The line of the abdomen with its protruding navel recalls the singiti, as do the slightly bent arms. Each clan possesses a single kabeja, which is dangerous to handle, and which receives sacrifices intended for the spirits, a magico-religious practice that is of the essence to the family."

        The kabeja you present seems odd in that the figures don't appear to be opposite one another... it looks almost like they are part of a triad ... I'd be curious what the other side looks like. I find all three of the pieces you present suspect ... and that is pretty much all one could say from these few pictures. The Luba figure with the bowl seems particularly poor to me. It basically boils down to your criteria for collecting and cost.

        I traded earlier this year for a kabeja figure and posted some pics in the album entitled 'Kabeja' if you care to have a look.

        Happy hunting, Daniel

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
          Daniel,

          Thanks for the insight. I uploaded a few more photos of the statue. Let me know if they give you any more clues.

          Also, what do you think of the Bembe mask? I've looking for one of those for awhile.

          Tom

        • dwolf22@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
            Tom - I've always liked this style of Bembe mask ....but I don't think I've actually ever seen one up close ... and don't know enough to offer you any sort of meaningful assessment ... My rule of thumb is usually to consider a piece decorative unless proven otherwise... that being said ... one does occasionally come across a  piece where there seems to be 'no question' - even without absolute proof. Sometimes you get lucky ... and sometimes even the keenest eyes get fooled. This mask from what I can see does not leave me with a sense of 'no question'...  If I were nevertheless for some reason still interested in owning it, the price then would have to be at a value commensurate with my doubt. It's a bit of a juggling act isn't it? the discerning of ones own tastes, identifying ones individual criteria for collecting and aligning these to a value acceptable by both buyer and seller.  Good Luck.

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2011
              Tom:

              With regard to the Bembe mask about which you inquired, there is a videotaped analysis of such as mask by Carol Thompson at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta;  although the feature is brief, the content might provide some background information as well as criteria for analysis to help you assess the authenticity your example and to consider the indigenous role and significance of these masks.  Other examples can be found among the works in the Gelbard Collection ( http://www.remnantsofritual.com/gallery/0108.html ) and the University of Iowa Museum ( http://digital.lib.uiowa.edu/u?/uima,12831 )

              If you can access it, also see Carol Ann Lorenz's Alunga masks of the Bembe (Master's Thesis, Columbia University, 1976).

              On Nov 30, 2011, at 5:54 AM, tomkocsis wrote:

              Hi,

              There are couple of objects that I came across recently from DRC. I usually get offers from a reliable source and I've buying from the same person for the past 3 yrs. Here, however, I'd like some opinions on the statues and a Bembe mask that I've hunting for a long time now.

              Luba statue:

              Luba statue II:

              Bembe mask

              Thanks,
              Tom

            • freedesk2002
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 14, 2011
                You asked for opinion and mine: I like all three. If offered to me would have considered purchase - not today however as buying a house and no more art for a while. Esp. like the 3-dimensionals on the Bembe and the square hole, and the holes on the horns which probably had attachments, and the protuding eyes, and painted stars. Three-figure janus appeals. The broken foot statue with conical breasts seems lacking and I wonder how much used.