Re: [African_Arts] New to this group and help required

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2011
      Welcome, Florian!

      Perhaps the most comprehensive grouping of mask examples from the Liberian region with early twentieth century collection data is the Harley Collection at Harvard's Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology.  The on-line database can be accessed through the Peabody's "Collections Online," which can be searched from various approaches.  I think the most direct is by going to the "Researcher Options" at Collections Online:
      Then, scroll the drop down menu and select:  AF:  Harley, Masks (376)
      Various attributions to be explored include Bassa, Dan, Mano, Gio, Kra, Konor, and Ge.

      Additionally, the American Museum of Natural History has a few examples worth viewing:  http://anthro.amnh.org/africa (searchable by country, ethnic group, etc.), as does the Musée d'Ethnographie de Geneve:  http://www.ville-ge.ch/meg/musinfo03.php

      Lee

      On Nov 29, 2011, at 11:25 AM, rhygin79 wrote:

      As a new group member I'd like to say at first hello to all of you.
      My name is Florian and I'm from Hannover, Germany.
      I hope someone can help me to identify the mask.
      The only information that I have ist, that the mask should come from the south of Sierra Leone but I don't think that it has its origin there.
      Thank you in advance for helping me and best regards

      Florian