Re: Benin Oba Head Double Face

  • Lawrence
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2011
      Hi Marcelo. It's rather nice. I have seen one other Janus figure in the Barakat gallery collection but I assume that aren't common. I have seen much cruder castings than yours, so it's a nice decorative thing, but for my money the colour and base wear are inconsistent with the 18th century date the style seems to imply. That said I am using an iPhone so can't see the details brilliantly well so I may vibe talking through my hat!

    • GARYGLS2000@aol.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2011
          Hello,
          if you google Janus Benin bronze, you can find a couple of examples. I don't know if their were any included in the haul that the British army stole in 1897, that Nigeria is trying to get back. They are in the British museum if you are interested in seeing them. There is plenty of bronze making going on in Benin city, modelled on the ancient pieces. You can get them made/ aged to order.

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "m.porto21" <m.porto21@...> wrote:

          > Dear all,
          >
          > I have recently acquired a double-faced Benin Oba Head. When I bought it, I did not even know what I was buying. Actually, who sold me the piece told me it was a "Benin Royal Mask". I then "googled" it and here I am! Nevertheless, I have not been able to find a double-faced one, like the one I have. I wonder if the group may help me find out if this is a recent replica piece or an original (?)th century one.
          >
          > The piece's height is 17 cm (6.7 in) and the weight is close to 1.15 kg (2.5 lbs).
          >
          > Ten pictures are available at photo album "Benin Oba Head Double Face", created today:
          >
          > In case the group is not able to help me, would someone know who may be?
          >
          > Thank you very much for your attention!
          >
          > Marcelo

        • Beth Peart
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2011
            Hi Marcelo. I have never seen a reference to any Janus-headed Benin heads, either. Since, historically the Benin heads were memorial figures, and since none with flaws such as this displays would have been allowed to be displayed as such, I think what you have found is a creative, and admittedly better-than-most made today tourist/curio piece

            ONÍSÙÚRÙ NI YÍÒ JOGÚN AYÉ
            The patient person shall inherit the earth

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2011
              Greetings Marcelo,

              Much has been recorded about Benin art. There is no history in the literature or oral history of Janus Heads in Great Benin Kingdom. I frequently travel to Benin City and know several brass casters on Igun Street. Im often in the shops there. Yes, you can get almost anything made-to-order. However, the imagery of the Obas (kings) of Benin are regulated by the Royal Palace. These depict actual kings. Before the British Massacre/Punitive expedition, Brass Oba Heads were owned and retained solely by the Royal Palace. This piece is most probably modern and may not have been made in Nigeria.

                                                 Daryl
                                                      BeninBronze.com