Boston area Museums & Galleries

  • rpearsonpe
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2011
      My wife and I will be in the Boston area for 7 days in October. Along with the usual tourist sites, I intend to go to Harvard's main museum and the Peabody Museum, Boston Museum of Art, Aquarium, the Hamill Gallery, and Skinner Auction House. Rand have a gallery ? Harvard/Cambridge area galleries ?

      Anyone have suggestions or recommendations of museums or galleries worth seeing ? No car, so needs to be within the subway 'T' or bus system.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 2011
        If you call in advance, you may  be able to make special arrangements to visit the back rooms at the Peabody -- particularly if you specify a particular aspect which you may wish to explore.  A short walk from the Peabody in Cambridge is Hurst Gallery -- currently offering and exhibiting a selection of Yoruba works.

        When visiting the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, plan to walk across the street to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.  It would be a shame to be so close and miss seeing this remarkable museum and collection.

        Also, you can travel by bus from Boston to access the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, which does include an African collection.

        Lee