Can anyone tell me what this is?

  • mdsky2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
      I have a large (46"x25") dark wood placard. Appears to be old, hand hewn, with a handle at the top. The design that covers most of the placard is a man done in relief about 3" raised off the placard. The man is in a much lighter color. He is holding a snake in each hand and is perhaps jumping? There are reed/rattan laces around the the edge of the placard and the 6" handle at the top is completely wrapped in reed strand. I can send a photo to anyone who wants to take a stab at it. My email is md@... and my name is Mark.

      I was able to post a photo of the placard with the snake holding man. It is in the file "Marks african art":

      Thank you to anyone taking a look and I can't wait to find out what my piece is.

      Warm Regards,
      Mark

      Thank you
    • GARYGLS2000@aol.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
          Hello Mark,
          Your object is a house door, recently carved I think, in the style of the Punu carvers from Gabon.
          I think you may note that the figure represents a woman.
          It has been stained and coloured to darken the wood and is hand carved with an adze followed by finer finishing tools.

          Enjoy your acquisition,
          ann

          Ann Porteus
          Sidewalk Tribal Gallery
          19-21 Castray Esplanade,
          Battery Point 7004
          Hobart Tasmania Australia
          sidewalktribal.com
          +613 62240331
          ABN:99 900 255 141

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
            Mark:

            If you search on-line for "Punu shutter or "Punu door," you will find a number examples of contemporary decorative panels such as this -- with or without items in hand.

            Lee

          • RPearsonpe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
              What do the snakes in each hand represent ?

              In a message dated 8/31/2011 9:35:51 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, ann@... writes:

              Hello Mark,

              Your object is a house door, recently carved I think, in the style of the Punu carvers from Gabon.
              I think you may note that the figure represents a woman.
              It has been stained and coloured to darken the wood and is hand carved with an adze followed by finer finishing tools.

              Enjoy your acquisition,
              ann

              Ann Porteus
              Sidewalk Tribal Gallery
              19-21 Castray Esplanade,
              Battery Point 7004
              Hobart Tasmania Australia
              sidewalktribal.com
              +613 62240331
              ABN:99 900 255 141

              < div>
[...]

            • Mark Dubynsky
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011

                Thank you for the help. J

                Mark Dubynsky

                Managing Director

                Tactical Capital Group, LLC

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011

                  Hi Ann,

                  I just looked at your postings and photos and am flattered that someone with your knowledge and expertise would even comment on my post. Thank you again for taking the time to do so.

                  Warm Regards,

                  Mark Dubynsky

                  Managing Director

                  Tactical Capital Group, LLC