Request for help/information

  • tony_raffal
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26 10:46 PM
      I wonder if anybody would be able to assist me with some information about a couple of African sculptures or masks pictures of which I have uploaded into the album entitled (unimaginatively)'Tony's Album':

      These appear to be quite old and are very well made. They are fairly large pieces at 130* cm and 110* cm and also very heavy weighing together about 18 kilos.

      I would be most grateful for any advice or information regarding these pieces.

      [*Moderator's note: Measurements revised to reflect apparent actual size: 1300mm = 130cm (or approx 52") and 1000mm = 100cm (or approx. 39")]
    • Ann Polly
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28 5:03 AM
        Hello Tony,

        Your wall plaques are definitely Makonde 'inspired', as the first one has even incorporated some Ujamaa elements (tower of people).  I would hazard to guess that these were made for the tourist trade in Tanzania.

        Regardless of origin, they are very lovely pieces.

        Lisa

        I wonder if anybody would be able to assist me with some information about a couple of African sculptures or masks pictures of which I have uploaded into the album entitled (unimaginatively)'Tony's Album':

        These appear to be quite old and are very well made. They are fairly large pieces at 130* cm and 110* cm and also very heavy weighing together about 18 kilos.

        I would be most grateful for any advice or information regarding these pieces.

        [*Moderator's note:  Measurements revised to reflect apparent actual size: 1300mm = 130cm (or approx 52") and 1000mm = 100cm (or approx. 39")]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            African_Arts-digest@yahoogroups.com
            African_Arts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • tony_raffal
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29 3:48 AM
          Thanks very much Lisa,

          The information and advice is greatly appreciated. I believe my grandfather spent some time in Zanzibar so I suppose he picked them up when he was there.

          T.